Hut hike over the Peiljoch in Austria – 3 days
Level: T2, with some parts T3
Period: End June – mid September
Three-day hut hike from Neustift in the Stubaital in Austria. The Stubaital is an alpine valley in Tyrol. It is the central valley of the Stubai Alps. At the end of the Stubaital valley lies the Stubai Glacier. This hike contains one leg of the ‘Stubaier Höhenweg‘, a demanding 120 kilometer long high level footpath, which can be done in 8 or 9 days.
This hike is listed in our travel blog. Hiking times mentioned below are adjusted to hiking with kids.
Day 1: Take the gondola from Gamsgarten talstation to the Dresdnerhütte (2308 m) – the same day take the gondola to Top of Tyrol (3210 m). At top of Tirol you can hike to the Hildesheimerhütte (2899 m – 2 hours out and back), partly over a snow field. The last gondola back to the Dresdnerhütte departs around 16:00, so don’t start too late in the afternoon.
Day 2: Dresdnerhütte – Sulzenauhütte (2191 m) – 5 km, 4 uur, ↑ 600 m, ↓ 500 m, level: T3. This is a spectacular hike, over the Peiljoch and along the glacial lake Sulzenausee. The hike starts with a tough climb. Approximately 100 meters below the Peiljoch is a steep stretch equipped with cables. Not very suitable for people with fear of heights. The descent from the Peiljoch along the Sulzenausee and the Sulzenauferner is overwhelmingly beautiful. This descent is steep, but manageable. From the Sulzenausee you can ascend to the Blaue Lacke (via a snow field, which we have skipped). The Blaue Lacke is also easily accessible from the Sulzenauhütte.
Day 3: Sulzenauhütte to Gamsgarten talstation (1750 m) – 7 km, 2,5 uur, ↑ 200 m, ↓ 800 m, level: T2/T3. A beautiful and fairly easy descent over the Sulzenaualm to Mutterberg. The last part runs along the river.
Daredevils can easily make this a 4 or 5 day-trip.
From the Sulzenauhütte you can continue on to the Nürnbergerhütte in around 4 hours – 6 km, ↑ 650 m, ↓ 550 m (level T3, with some chains). The next day you can hike back to the valley and take the bus back to Gamsgarten Talstation (6 km, 2:30, ↓ 910 m).
Or you can from the Nürnbergerhütte to the Bremerhütte in about 4 hours – 6 km, ↑ 600 m, ↓ 470 m (level T3). From the Bremerhütte you can also hike down into the valley to the same bus stop – 12 km, 6:00, ↑ 500 m, ↓ 1530 m.
Good to know:
– Drinking water is available in both huts.
– Lunch packets can be pre-ordered (the night before) in both huts (€5 – €6 pp).
– The Dresdnerhütte has Wi-Fi. The Sulzenauhütte does not have wifi, but there is mobile phone coverage uphill just outside the hut (near the flag).
– In the Dresdnerhütte you can pay by card, the Sulzenauhütte is cash only.
– Swimming is possible in the Blaue Lacke near the Sulzenauhütte.
– You can take the Gamsgartenbahn or the Eisgratbahn to the Dresdnerhütte, in Mutterberg. They are close together (walking distance).
– There is ample parking space at the Gamsgartenbahn and Eisgratbahn, free of charge.